CAR CARE TIPS FROM AC AUTO SERVICE CENTER
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CAR’S GAS MILEAGE
- Keep your car clean. Mud on the undercarriage can weigh a significant amount and slow you down.
- Consolidate your daily trips and errands. This will also save you the cost of restarting your engine, which uses a lot of gas.
- Avoid air conditioning when possible. However, when driving at higher speeds, having your windows open also creates drag.
- Don’t throttle the gas or brake! Sudden starts or stops use more gas than gradual changes of speed.
- Don’t idle for too long. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait.
- Limit car warm-ups in winter.
- Clear out the trunk. More weight, more drag.
- Avoid high speeds. We know this is almost impossible to resist but you can improve your gas mileage about 15 percent by driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph.
- Use overdrive. If your car is equipped with overdrive gearing use it as soon as your speed is high enough.
- Use cruise control. Keeping a constant speed is ideal for improving your gas mileage.
Servicing Your Vehicle:
- Improve the spark to your engine. This way, the air and fuel mixture will be burnt better.
- Improve your intake/output system. Helping gas get in and exhaust out of your vehicle will improve overall performance and gas mileage.
- Reduce friction. Use high-quality or synthetic motor oil.
- Check your oil! Low oil makes your engine work harder.
- Change your filters. Dirty filters can sometimes increase the amount of fuel your vehicle is using by 10 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. Check regularly to ensure your wheels are fully inflated and your alignment is good.
- Get regular engine tune-ups and car maintenance checks. A lot can go wrong with a car. Damaged spark plugs or transmission problems can also contribute to poor gas mileage.